Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Silhouette Dinosaur Art Project & AR Book Companion


This was a fun project that I did last spring with both of my children's classes. For my daughter, it was a project and an opportunity to have an Accelerated Reader (AR) book read to them to be tested on.

The book I read was Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems. Mo Willems is a favorite author in our house. Not only is the text humorous, but the illustrations have so many things you have to look at to find even more humor. This is a 4.2 RL that is worth .5 pts.

To make the silhouette project, I had each child paint with sunset colors in water colors on white construction paper. Then, while that was drying they cut traced and cut out the silhouettes on black construction paper.

For my son's class I cut them out for them since it would have been harder for them, but for my daughters class I got a book from the library on how to draw dinosaurs and drew out images on drawing paper and cut those out. The I traced those on to thin cardboard and cut them out so that I had made stencils for my daughter's classmates to use. It was a lot of work on my part to create the foundational parts of this project for them, but so many of the kids thought it was so neat to do a dinosaur project.

No comments: