Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Try It Tuesday: Loom Knit Hat with Brim and Matching Flower Headband


I made this hat a and coordinating flower headband set for a neighbor's newborn (hat) and the flower headband for her daughter. It's always nice to remember the siblings and bring them something too.

The yarn I used for this project was the Michael's Loops and Threads Charisma yarn, which is a Bulky 5 weight. I like how soft this yarn is and how quick I can create a project using a bulky yarn. I really like how the yarn did a self striping technique. I only needed about 1/2 skein to make both projects. The infant hat was made on the blue knifty knitter loom.

To make the brim - Knit 10 rows, then after your pull over the 10th row, place the loops from the first row back on the pegs and pull over. This will create a thick cuff at the bottom.

Then continue to e-wrap and pull over until you have a hat that measures 6" (for an infant size). Bind it off by running a piece of yarn through the loops and pulling together and tying.

You can create a pom pom for the top by using Clover Large Pom Pom Maker.

The flower headband is super simple to make by using the Knifty Knitter Flower Loom. You can make a flower in only a couple minutes. And then I just tied it to a matching headband I bought and glue a small circular piece of matching felt to the underside to hide the tie.

I also used this same flower loom to make:

6 comments:

krystal said...

This is so cute! I added it to my Pinterest!

Jessica said...

I used to knit, my husband taught me how. This makes me want to get out my yarn again. It's that time of year!

Unknown said...

So cute! I have no idea how to knit. It looks hard.

Rebecca Swenor said...

I love this loom hat with the brim. I am going to make one for my niece's new lil one and my sisters new lil one. Thanks for sharing. Love this.

Anonymous said...

What size loom did u use?

Mom of Two said...

I used the blue loom in the knifty knitter kit. I know that kit is no longer made, so it would be the smallest loom in your kit of 4.