Monday, June 3, 2013

Make It Monday: Frozen Watermelon Sangria Granita

Once upon a time, my husband and I used to run a bed & breakfast and making a watermelon granita was one of my favorite things to serve in the summer and people loved it. Making a granita is simple with few ingredients, but it requires planning ahead because it needs to be frozen and you need to have time to "fluff" it every couple of hours for the first 6-8 hours. Normally, I made the granita with champagne but decided to try using SkinnyGirl Sangria and it is wonderful.



Frozen Watermelon Sangria Granita
12 C cubed watermelon
1/2 C sugar
1 750mL bottle of SkinnyGirl Sangria
2L bottle of Sprite (optional)

Directions: In a blender, puree the watermelon and sugar. You will need to do this in 2-3 batches, depending upon the size of your blender. Pour puree in a large bowl (with a cover) or an ice cream pail. Pour in SkinnyGirl Sangria and stir. Cover and freeze. Every 2 hours, "fluff" the granita with a fork to make it flakey. You will need to do this 3-4 times. Then freeze until you are ready to serve. You can make this up to 2 week in advance. Fluff before serving frozen. Or pour Sprite over the top to make it more of a liquid and add some fizz. This will make 10-12 servings.


5 comments:

Ashley S said...

Oooo I love watermelon, so I definitely want to make this! Thanks :)

Suzi Satterfield said...

This sounds delicious!

Michelle Bowman said...

Sounds like lunch! For Saturday :)
Great recipe!

LeahSay's Views - Bonnie said...

This looks fabulous. I think I'm past due for a girl's get together.

Unknown said...

This looks so delicious! I would love to try this!