Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thrifty Thursday: The 10% Rule

The 10% Rule

If you are looking to start saving money or using less of things, start with 10% and make a rule in your life to cut out  or cut back by 10%. Do it with everything from thermostat temperature to detergent to toothpaste. 

Some ideas include:
  • Set your thermostat 10% lower at night
  • Use 10% less toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc.
  • Check your water heater temperature, it could work just as well with a 10% lower temperature
  • Eat 10% less food
  • Use 10% dishwasher detergent, laundry soap, fabric softener, etc.
  • Watch 10% less TV
After a while, that 10% less consumption will add up to 10% more money in your pocket.

What could you cut back on my 10%?

3 comments:

The Yogi Vegetarian said...

Great idea; I'm doing something like this at home at the moment. Our greatest thing to cut down- even more than 10% really - is our tumble dryer. I wrote a post last week with some more ideas if you are interested: http://vegancookonabudget.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/ten-tips-for-saving-money-around-house.html

Anonymous said...

I can get more purposeful about the dryer--good idea! I'm going to go over the budget and see if I can come up with more ways. thanks!

nonyal at sbcglobal dot net

Sarah Osborne said...

I could definitely cut back 10% on my shampoo. I use way too much!