Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week One Finished: Pantry Challenge

I bought groceries twice this week and each time I only bought exactly what I set forth to buy (milk, eggs, veggies, fruit & cheese.) I spent exactly $6 the first trip and $10.06 the second time.

I do have to admit that I spent $1 to buy a $5 gift card for Starbucks from one of those daily deals websites. That deal was too good to pass up.

Also, my husband was working late one night and stopped at Taco Bell on the way home and spent a couple dollars there. I had to remind him that he was part of this challenge and if he can't make it home to eat his supper without being ravenous, then he should plan ahead and have some kind of crackers or chips sitting in his car (since it doesn't matter if those things get cold or freeze.)

And we did go out to eat only once this week, which is the expectation. Next week, we do have the previously scheduled playgroup at McDonald's for lunch that will be in addition to going out once (but that time will be a date night, so the kids will be eating what we have at home.) Although, I do have a plan on how I will save a little money on that McDs visit and will share that later this week.

So far the only challenge is I am trying not to use up the convenience foods too quickly, so that I still have some if we need to make a lunch quickly. So, I have been making a lot more meals from scratch. And to make those from scratch meals, I need to plan ahead and make sure I take meat out of the freezer with enough time so it can defrost in the fridge.

So far, so good. Even my daughter understands that I am doing this challenge and that we can only buy certain items at the grocery store and she cannot ask for things that do not fit into the challenge. She did very good with this tonight when we went to the grocery store after her ice skating class and I told her she could pick out a healthy snack, and she picked out Clementines.

No comments: